Friday, February 13, 2009

Dreaming of Spring



Sitting here looking out my window at the Arkansas River on a sunny winter day, I find myself dreaming of Spring. Dreaming of crisp early season afternoons on the river fly-fishing for trout before run-off begins and makes the river turn to chocolate. Dreaming of cloudy blustery Baetis hatches, and Mother’s Day Caddis , and fish rising…the thought of catching the Stonefly hatch on the Colorado with the water still clear.
Don’t get me wrong – I also enjoy winter in the mountains. Many evenings find me sitting next to a crackling fire with snow softly falling outside, or drinking hot chocolate after a day of skiing. I feel lucky to be surrounded by beauty on a daily basis. I hope I never take it for granted that I get to live in a mountain community with wonderful people, and a small town feel.
But if you catch me daydreaming and looking out the window - I’m most likely wishing for spring and thinking about getting on the river. It’s that time again…time to stop tying, and start fishing.

No comments: