Friday, March 20, 2009

It's My Turn Again By Dale Little


I am ready to continue my story.


After discovering how gorgeous Salida and Chaffee County were, it was obvious to my wife and I that this would be our new home. We hurried back to San Antonio. We had already decided to move so I put our home and businesses up For Sale. We got lucky and sold them all in a short amount of time.


We were on the road again. Back to Salida for our house hunting. Would you believe we found a beauty in the ghost-town of Maysville? Wow..... 10 acres on the Arkansas River, 8 miles from Monarch ski slopes, views to kill for. It was perfect. The year was 1985 and our move to Salida was smooth. I had big plans, drink a little Coors and ski, ski, ski.


Things started to happen. We were so happy right where we were.


One day the phone rang and the superintendent for the Salida school district was one the other end. He asked if I would be interested in teaching math at the high school. The current math teacher had been diagnosed with cancer. What a challenge! So I of course said yes. Bless her heart she died that Christmas. At this point one part of my story ended. The results: 15 years in the classroom teaching math, and coaching as well. One life altering decision = many more stories and experiences to share. To be continued.

No comments: